On Monday, Erik had the day off, so we decided it was high time to finish the Kitchen.
About a month ago,we started the fun that is the "Kitchen project". Not to be confused with the "Living Room/Dining Room Project" or the "Flooring Project"(Coming soon Dec 27th) or the "Bathroom Project" (That's a future post...construction on that area will have to wait for completion until after the holidays.)
We had to scrape off the existing wallpaper border...which proved to be harder than anticipated.
Anyways, because the dry wall was damaged, we had to get dry wall mud and re-mud the walls, which Erik did while I was visiting Utah for my Parent's 50th. After we put the mud on, we had to sand it down and then clean it, and then Prime it. So...Long story not-so-short, that is what we did on Monday. As soon as Erik started sanding I saw that this was going to be a big mess, so I went and got the plastic that I had been using for painting and taped it to the wall to close off the living room from the kitchen. We had a layer of fine white dust everywhere in the kitchen. It was such a mess. After we finished the sanding and cleaning, we had to paint everything with a primer. BTW, Primer is about the nastiest "paint" I have ever smelled! Just in case you were wondering!
I finally remembered to take pictures about a third of the way through the final painting.
It took until about 5:30 that night to finish just the kitchen part. On Tuesday, after I was done babysitting for a friend, I whipped out the paint and finished that last part...our hallway thingy.
Here is the finished product: (It's amazing how light can change the colors. Just so you know the living room and kitchen are the same color even though it might look different in the pics.)

The only thing I have left to do now in the kitchen...other than the floors, is the back splash. That will also have to wait until after the holidays.So after I finished painting, cleaning up, showering, getting kids off the bus, teaching a lesson, and eating dinner...phew...*Sigh* I headed over to Elizabeth's school, for her 2nd Grade Christmas Concert.
Afterwards, we headed to her class so she could show me her achievements, and get a picture with her teacher.
Then we went and got a much deserved treat, for me and for Lizzy!
On Wednesday, I spent almost the whole day cleaning. I say almost because I had plumbers coming to check out my water heater that was showing signs of needing to be replaced. I spent an hour tightening up the attic ladder so that as they went up and down the stairs there would be not accidents. It proved to be harder and in need of more work than I had anticipated. After Erik and the kids came home, I left to teach some piano lessons. I go to a friends house in the ward and teach her two sons piano. Luckily, she took pity on me and fed me, because I had been so busy with cleaning and plumbers that I didn't have time to eat lunch or dinner. She's always so willing to share her food even if I insist that I have already eaten. I think it's so great...not that she will feed me, but that she is so giving...Thanks again Sylwia. After I got home, Erik left for a meeting and I...surprise, surprise...cleaned...MORE.
On Thursday, I went to visit a friend in the ward that is in the hospital. She's been in for over a month and we are still hoping and praying that she can get better so she can come home before Christmas! I had fun visiting, but after a couple hours I had to leave to meet the plumbers for our new Water Heater. On the way, I decided to stop super quick and pick up the white shirt that Karlee needs for her class by Friday. As I'm getting out of the car, the plumbers call. There was an emergency call...the sewage backed up into a restaurant...YUCK! They couldn't come until tomorrow. Figures...all right, I have the last of my Christmas shopping to finish...no time like the present. *Pun intended* Time flies when you are shopping. I also had to get some stuff for the Enrichment activity that night, so it all worked out. That night I left early to help with the Enrichment activity since I'm on the committee. Luckily, it was a low key, super fun activity. We had a PJ Christmas Party, we enjoyed pizza and lots of other snacks. We sat on blankets on the floor, visited, played games, listened to a book and a beautiful song. It was pouring rain, so when we were cleaning up and taking things to the cars and the dumpster we were getting soaked.
On Friday, I was hosting a choir pot-luck practice. I had 50 people coming over to my house that night. Erik and I spent most of the day taking the couch and chair out to the garage, getting a new water heater, and finishing the cleaning for that night. Luckily, Erik was around to help the plumbers get the new water heater into the attic...it was not so easy!
Friday night, we had soups, breads, and all sorts of goodness. It was crazy, but it was fun. I hope everyone had fun. I was so busy running around and stuff that I didn't get to visit with everyone, but I think it went well. We practiced our Christmas songs that we are singing on Sunday. That was interesting. Trying to entertain all the kids while we practiced...yeah, not so easy. Apparently, some of the kids had some fun with a pie, while we were practicing. I totally wish that I had a picture of that!!! Unfortunately, all I could manage was a quick picture while we were singing Christmas carols. This isn't even everyone, a lot of the kids were back in the bedrooms playing, and some were on the other side of the half wall.
Saturday, has been the slowest day so far. I had the insurance adjuster and roofer come out to evaluate our wind damage on our roof.
Luckily, the kids were inside playing, and hardly even realized that I was outside. After that I actually had time to catch up on email and blogs...hence this post. Which is a lot longer than I had expected. SORRY!!! Now I have to go and get ready for the ward Christmas party. I signed up to help with a booth, and I need to go find something to dress up in so that I look like I'm from Bethlehem. *Sigh* The fun never ends!
Later!




7 comments:
Wow. I am exhausted just after reading your post. You must be half dead. I thought my week was crazy.
Friday night was great. Crazy- but great. Thanks for inviting me.
Wow! Just wow.
Holy Cow you have been one busy lady...
Friday night was so much fun!!! I didn't think it was that crazy, you had it so orginized and things went so smooth.
I love the singing carols. So did Brooklyn.
BTW your kitchen is soo nice. I can't wait to see your floors.
Holy cow... seriously.. looks like everyone had a great time and your kitchen is beautiful.. way fun! The joys of owning your own home!8)
OH Staci! You have no idea!!!! But that's another post. It's been forming in my head for a couple days now. I just wish I had documentation (pictures) of all the "fun" we've had owning a home! ;) But I wouldn't trade it to rent!
Your ambition is overwhelming. Everything looks great. Too bad your not hear to host our Christmas get together. :)
Wow, I am tired just reading your post, you have been one busy woman! Your kitchen looks great by the way!
Post a Comment