Friday, October 9, 2009

Fleas, Fleas everywhere and not a pet in sight!

So we are finally hooked up to the internet. Finally moved into our house and are getting the rest of our stuff unpacked. BUT and this is the most important one, We are NOT rid of the freakin fleas! Yeah, I said fleas, and NO, we do not have pets. The previous tenants of this place (army housing, need I say more!) left us a nice present. Try, a massive infestation of fleas. The house was treated before we moved in and twice since. They will be coming back every Tuesday to spray until they are gone.
(Just so you know, had I known about the fleas prior to our arrival, I would have demanded a different home. However, I was not informed about the fleas until the day before we were suppose to move in, and we had already started our kids in their new school, and changed our address on everything, but mostly it was becuase of our kids.
Besides if we moved now, the fleas would come with.)

But guess what! I know a lot about fleas now. More than I would like too.

What do I do for "fun" here is Kentucky? I flea hunt! On top of the daily Rainbow-ing that my house gets, I am getting really good at spotting the little buggers. They are about the size of a piece of sand, yeah TINY! Luckily I have really good eyes, and even on our dark brown wood floors, I can see them. It's not easy but hey, I am a woman on a mission. Seriously, I'm obsessed. I'm not proud of it, but it's either me or the fleas, and you better believe I will win! Now as part of my "flea hunt", I have a game. I walk around slowly with my eyes fixed on my white socks and when they jump on, I grab them, and drown them! Yup I drown them, it's awesome. It's one of the only ways to kills them. I have my little collection to show the pest control guy when he comes again, becuase I don't think he believes that after 3 treatments that we still have fleas!

Unfortunately for me, I guess my blood smells really good, becuase the fleas are attacking me, whereas my kids aren't getting it too bad. I've had to start sporting the tuck-your-pants-into-your-socks look. It's way sexy. On top of that, I spray myself with insect repelant that is suppose to repel fleas, but guess what, that stuff wears off after about 2 hours. Besides, If I only spray below my knees, they find a way up and bite up higher. It's great fun!

So if you have pets, make sure you treat them, and DON'T let strays into your house. That's how it all started. I got the whole story from the neighbors. The previous tenants kids found a stray cat and let it into the house, but also let the cat go out into a field across the street, and that's all it took. I hope wherever they are, they are dealing with the fleas also! Is that mean?!?! Oh well!

I want my clean, beautiful, flealess Georgia house back!!!!!!

You can bet this will be ANOTHER reason why we will never have pets!


Pictures Pending, but it's after 1 am now, and I should probably go to bed!

6 comments:

Brandi said...

Oh no! That's awful!

See, that's what you get for moving away. :)

Brandi said...

P.S. It could have been LICE!!!!

Tina said...

Well, at least you are able to make a fun game right?

I can't belive the fleas are still there after three treatments.

Go AWAY!!!!
(this is not your home.)

So are you all unpacked and settled yet?

Kids liking school? How is the weather?

Can't wait to catch up.

Correa Family said...

Ewwww! I'm so sorry, I would try to move anyway. I wouldn't be able to sleep like that, knowing I had that many bugs in my house! Good luck! Stupid military housing!

karijean said...

I'm so sorry Steph! That is not funny. What a way to start your new adventure in KY. Yikes!

Rach said...

That is AWFUL!!! Can you talk the army into putting you into a different house? No one should have to live like that. Ever. It is so much easier to get rid of fleas on pets right away than a huge infestation in your house. I hope you can either get rid of them soon so you can get some sleep, or get into a flea-free house. Good luck!